"I have held many things in my hands, and lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess."

~~Martin Luther~~



Friday, January 29, 2010

Number 18 - Snowshoeing


Snowshoeing - I wasn't sure what to expect. But for my birthday, Dean and I decided that it might be a really good family activity. January 16th (the day before my birthday) would be a good day to go up to the mountains to give this potential sport a try. The Salt Lake Valley had been trapped in a horrible gray inversion all week long and we had been stuck in the gray and freezing temperatures for far too long. So we packed up the children and headed to the Solitude Nordic Center up Big Cottonwood Canyon.

When we arrived we were fitted with gators and snowshoes. I thought wearing these shoes designed to walk on the snow would feel like tennis racquets or boards strapped to my feet - I just wasn't sure what to expect. Surprisingly, the snowshoes didn't really feel quite as awkward as I thought it would or should be. After being strapped into the gear, the clan headed out to try the 1 mile loop.
To describe the day - it was spectacular - the sun was shining and the sky was blue. BLUE SKY - We hadn't seen blue sky filled with sunshine in such a long time - oh it felt so good on my face. The temperature was about 45 degrees Fahrenheit which as about 15 degrees warmer than down in the city that we had left behind for the day. It was the perfect day to try this activity.

As we headed out, it was fairly easy getting around. Through the trees and over the hills. We even tried deep powder snow and did not sink too far. Wow - this was fun and easy. I kept telling Dean I would love to invest in this sport. It is some good exercise, fresh air and great scenery!

After our first try, we walked back and met our guide who introduced us to the area, explaining trees, wildlife and different points of interest. She even explained about a white weasel and a moose that often frequent the area. The weasel and moose did not make an appearance for my day in the outdoors - so now we have a quest to go and find these to illusive creatures on a different day and a different adventure.

There was just one thing that I didn't expect - I had a mean back splash from my snowshoes. With every step, snow was being kicked up my backside. But I was not the only one experiencing this - my daughter did as well. We were soaked by the time we were done. People who saw us thought that we had purposely sat in the snow or wet our pants. The boys didn't have a problem. We did have different snowshoes from the boys. When we walk we also drag our feet and so we kept trying to try different stepping techniques but nothing really seemed to help. Whatever the cause was for backside full of snow, we both knew that it felt good to change out of our wet clothes.

It was a great day and a great birthday present! I really enjoyed this sport and look forward to trying this adventure again.

No comments:

Post a Comment