"I have held many things in my hands, and lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess."

~~Martin Luther~~



Saturday, January 19, 2013

Glory lies in the attempt to reach one's goal and not in reaching it. - Mahatma Gandhi

The year I turned 39, I decided to make a list of  39 things to do before I turned 40. This is the blog post where I outlined my goals for that year.  And while that was a good thing for that point of time in my life (I accomplished 25 of the 39 goals that year.) Focusing on that many goals became a bit overwhelming.  So now as I have just had another birthday, I have been thinking a lot about what this year may look like and how many personal goals I should set for myself this year. 

So after a lot of thought and am making my 2013 list.  Except this time I am going to have a list of broad goals and then a list of smaller more doable goals broken down by month in an effort not to get lost in the good intention of my bigger goals.  So here is the list for 2013. . .
  • Read the Book of Mormon
  • Lose 20 pounds
  • Participate in community service
  • Plan a family vacation
  • Define Happy
  • Pay off "dumb debt"
  • Participate in something active every month
  • Read a book every month
  • Improve my half marathon time by 5 minutes
  • See a slot canyon
So starting January 17, 2013 here are my goals for the month:
  • Read the Book of Mormon every day - prayers morning and night
  • Lose 4 pounds - I am starting at 172.6 pounds (that's my beginning goal picture)
  • Research community service opportunities, community donations
  • Watch the "Happy" movie
  • Budget - set up automatic payment plans for my car
  • Plan meals weekly for grocery shopping (budget and diet)
  • Go snowshoeing (active)
  • Go to the gym 4 times per week and exercise for at least 30 minutes (diet)
  • Read Reached by Condie
  • No TV at bedtime
  • Meditate daily (not sure what this means but felt I should try it)
And there is the list for the year and January. So far I have started slowly and I have spent the last few days being a nurse to the flu ridden family in our home.  But I am moving forward to see what this year of 2013 will bring. 
Bon Chance pour moi!  





1 comment:

  1. Joelle, I love you and miss you. You are one of my most inspiring friends. I wish we had more time together because I miss you but also I think we would have lots of fun workout and outdoor exercise parties getting in shape. I'm right there with you girl. I hope you make all of your goals. You are amazing in every way.

    ReplyDelete