"I have held many things in my hands, and lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess."

~~Martin Luther~~



Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Chile - The Last Day (and the cherry on top)




"Make voyages! Attempt them! there's nothing else" ~~Tennessee Williams




I think that life has provided me with the opportunity to travel and see so many wonderful and unique places around the world. And every place that I have been and the people that I have met have left a lasting impression on my heart and soul in some way. I have been asked what is my favorite place to visit - I can't really answer that because each place has given me something special that has added to or changed my life. This trip to Chile and Antarctica has been absolutely amazing but not quite in the way I expected. Our last day in Chile was what I would call the "cherry on top" bringing our trip to a close.

After Antarctica, we made it back to Santiago at about 1:30am on Saturday, February 13, 2010. After arriving at the bed and breakfast, Dean and I literally fell into bed. We were up again at 6:00am in order to get ready to attend the LDS Temple in Santiago. What a beautiful temple and a lovely morning.

As I have stated in earlier blogs, Dean served a 2-year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in Santiago 30 years ago. With the help of our friends - Dean made contact with a gentleman that he had baptized - Armin. Armin was 14 when Dean last saw him - that was 29 years ago. Because the means to communicate and keep in contact with people were not as easy as it is now - it was really just a miracle to find Armin. We met Armin Saturday afternoon at the temple. Armin didn't speak English and Dean's Spanish had improved slightly during the week to the point that he could understand the language but his ability to speak Spanish was still rusty. Somehow these two men were able to communicate. We had lunch together and talked about families, the gospel and the long and short of the last 30 years. Armin has 3 children (2 close to the age of our children). He is in the Stake Young Men's presidency. It was the perfect end to our trip in Chile. As we departed company, these two men hugged and agreed to stay in contact. As Dean and I talked about this experience - I could see that he was truly touched. It made his heart happy and renewed his spirit to see that his service in the gospel had been so beneficial to someone else's life. And in return to see that Armin has grown in the gospel passing this service and work forward to many others. It was wonderful to me to see the joy that this meeting brought to my husband and that made this trip priceless!



Returning home was another adventure as our flight had been cancelled due to weather. Again, we were so blessed. An LDS missionary was on his way home to the same location and with the help of his translation services, we were able to get a flight home - just a few hours later than our original time to destination. That was a miracle since the airline told me it would be 4 days before I could leave Santiago due to weather and cancellations.


Dean and I have been so grateful for the opportunity we had to visit Chile and Antarctica. We are especially grateful for the people we have met and friendships we rekindled while we were in this wonderful country.


"My life will never be the same having seen the sun shine on the other side of the world!" ~ Joelle

1 comment:

  1. Found you. The trip sounds incredible. What a great opportunity.

    ReplyDelete